Scholarship Award Process
In keeping with the program’s highest scholarship standards, becoming an SQ Scholar involves a multi-tiered selection process that relies on your academic performance, commitment, involvement, and personal integrity.
STEP 1. DO YOU QUALIFY?
While anyone can apply to become an SQ Scholar, the program is rigorous, competitive and selective. Your school principal or teacher must recommend you for participation. Eligibility is based on the following criteria:
- Are you a top achiever and role model in your school, home and community?
- Are you currently in seventh grade at a Big Shoulders Fund Elementary School?
- Do you consider yourself a good student? Does your report card reflect mostly “A’s”?
- Will you be the first one in your immediate family to attend college?
- Are you willing to commit to weekly meetings for a Summer Enrichment Program?
- Can your family demonstrate financial need?
STEP 2. APPLY
In fall of your seventh grade year, complete and submit your SQ Scholarship Application to be chosen for the SQ PREP Summer Enrichment Program.SQ Scholarship Application (Download pdf)
STEP 3. SQ PREP SUMMER
- Runs during summer before eighth grade, including academic enrichment, field trips, and skill building
- SQ PREP Eighth Grade Selection: Announcement of continuing scholars at summer's end
- Includes a $500 Scholarship toward eighth grade tuition
STEP 4. SQ PREP EIGHTH GRADE
- Begins in fall of eighth grade, including high school test prep and enrichment activities
- Official SQ Scholar selection announced by end of December, prior to high school testing and enrollment
- Final SQ Scholars will continute programming through eighth grade and the summer prior to high school
STEP 5. SQ SCHOLARS
- Runs freshman year through senior year of high school
- Includes a 4-year, renewable high school scholarship* at a Big Shoulders Fund High School, depending on family's demonstrated need and tuition amount; student must continue to meet expectations for grades, behavior, and attendance at program meetings.
- Provides ongoing enrichment including mentoring, adademic tutoring, ACT Test Prep, social, cultural and service programming.